Saint Mark’s Square

Saint Mark’s Square, Venice | Photo: Nicola Giordano via Pixabay


It has always been the real and symbolic focal point of the city’s power of which it sets the perimeter: the Church and the Doge’s Palace on the East, the Procuratie Vecchie, residences for the powerful Procurators of Saint Mark, extending for 152 metres from the Clock Tower, on the North. The Napoleonic Wing - Ala Napoleonica (built around 1810) - the current seat of Museo Correr, was the last building to be built in the square, then the Procuratie Nuove built by Vincenzo Scamozzi and, finally, the masterful block designed by Sansovino with the Loggetta and the Biblioteca Marciana (Library) which link it to Piazzetta San Marco overlooking the sea and San Giorgio Maggiore.



  1. Keywords: museo correr, doge’s palace, clock tower, saint mark’s square, biblioteca marciana, vincenzo scamozzi, arte.it, procuratie vecchie, masterpieces

Hotel Canaletto srl